Friday, September 14, 2012

The Magic Number


You know, there's this thing about blog posts.

They don't appear if you don't, like, post them.

Derp!

So, I have this post, and it's about the Magic Number.  Only thing is, it's so super sekrit that I didn't post it!

Ergo, without further delay and with profuse apologies to those of you down under and in Europe since you won't see it til tomorrow, my post shall be thus:

The Magic Number

There once was a lonely little writer.  She really wanted to write something interesting that other people would want to read.  But how to do so?  She turned to her coffee maker and "Poof!" a genie appeared.  "Make your wish!"

"But... my wish for what?"

"Make your wish!"

"I'm sorry, but you're sitting on my coffee pot and I haven't had any coffee yet.  I don't know what you mean?  What sort of wish are you looking for?"

"Make your wish, lady, I haven't got all day!"  The genie stamped his little foot, which didn't really do much damage since the genie's body hadn't fully corporealized on this plane yet, but he didn't want her to know that.

"Well, I haven't got any ideas, little guy.  That's the problem.  That's why I wanted my coffee, because I wish I had some way of coming up with ide--"

POOF!

The genie disappeared and the lonely little writer wasn't lonely anymore.  Her mind filled with the resounding shout the genie gave her before he disappeared:  "Count to five!"

She grabbed a pen and a paper towel and wrote one-handed while pouring her coffee.  She shoved the pot back on the burner and kept writing, even as she walked to her table.  Writing on the table proved to be much easier and this is what she wrote:  a list of five ways to tackle her new project.

Elated, she tried writing five different story ideas and, well, that worked too!

Then she wrote five ways she could be more effective at work.  And five things she could make for dinner!  And five ways...

Well, you get the point.

When you're stumped, number 1 through 5 and see if you can't fill up your list.  Always include one completely absurd idea, one that isn't relevant at all, just to keep the pen or fingers flowing.

The moral of this story is:


(And remember to actually POST your blog posts!)

Write on!

-- 
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
- E.E. Cummings

My links: Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | LinkedIn | Pandora 
Knoontime Knitting:  Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
Noon and Wilder links: Blog | Website | Facebook
Team Blogs: Nightlight | The Writers Retreat Blog | Beyond the Veil | LGBT Fantasy Fans and Writers

Check out EMERALD FIRE, available from Torquere Publishing.
Check out "Taking a Chance" part of the Charity Sips 2012 to benefit NOH8.

4 comments:

PG Forte said...

Coffee is the moral to EVERY good story. At least that's what I think.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Totally agree, PG. In fact, I'm about to put it in action. ~pets cup~ It's one of those things that when you pet it, it burns you, but you love it anyway. :P

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Debby said...

I don't go for coffee but I sure do like my morning tea. Love the pic that goes with. Have you ever had your magic number plotted?
debby236 at gmail dot com

Selena Robins said...

LOL! Fun blog post.

I'm with Debby, no coffee for me, the occasional cup of tea or a piece of dark Godiva, those are my writing tools.