Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Post About Procrastination


 Here we are in the last half of September, Torquere Press's 9th anniversary month. 2012 has been quite a year for me, as my first book Storms and Stars came out in January, my second book Moon Shadows came out in August, and now I have my first ever Charity Sip, Skin and Hide. That publishing record, combined with my first year of grad school, has made this year something of a whirlwind!

Yet I could be so much more productive if it weren't for terrible procrastination habit. I used to think it was laziness; now, I'm starting to recognize that it's really all about insecurity. After all, it's easier to avoid working on a project than to get all the way through and realize it isn't good enough. Completing something means that it exists, that it can be a failure, while not doing it means you simply haven't done it yet.

And it's not just about how enjoyable or tedious something is. I write because I love to write, and I'm in grad school because I actually enjoy research and analysis. But rather than dive into those activities, I often find something else to do. Gaming, cooking, fooling around with my Asian Ball-Jointed Doll collection, re-watching television programmes that have nothing to do with my studies; these are all things I do instead of what I should be doing. It's become this crazy layer cake of neglected tasks, where I'm procrastinating on procrastinating on something I'm procrastinating on!

Ironically, although there are many productivity strategies out there, they still require you to jump in and use them. In other words, you can procrastinate about overcoming procrastination. So I'll just have to keep struggling on until I find a way around this bad habit of mine. Maybe by Torquere Press's 10th anniversary I'll be a more confident, productive person. Maybe, if I get started now . . .

Or maybe that can wait until tomorrow.

What do you procrastinate about? Commenters between now and Friday at midnight PDT will be entered in a draw for a free pdf copy of either Storms and Stars or Moon Shadows (your choice).

On sale now:
Planetside for the first time in months, Villam wants to enjoy the Iopintharian festival with Luke. But how can he give proper tribute to the goddess of passion if Luke refuses to come near him during the celebrations?

Nerdy werewolf Theo and preppy dog trainer Max are accidentally brought together by the mysterious appearance of malevolent spirits in their quiet northern town. More than unruly spirits are unleashed as Theo and Max discover that they have secrets and desires in common.

Villam, an imperial officer, and Luke, a monk from a rebel colony, are natural enemies stuck alone together on an uninhabited planet. What begins as a chilly truce turns into something far warmer, melting away old prejudices and igniting new passion.

4 comments:

gigi said...

I procrastinate about EVERYTHING!!!

gisu29(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy. I procrastinate about tidying up the most, for sure.

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

booklover0226 said...

Usually cleaning my place! LOL

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I procrastinate about testing my blood sugar. If my "noon" test takes place at 3:30, does it count? What a (literal) pain!

brendurbanist AT gmail DOT com