Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mini-interview: Serena Yates

Question 1: How did you choose the plot and characters of your story for the Charity Sip Blitz?
Unfortunately, there are so many situations that drive GLBT youths to think about ending their lives. I was looking for one that as many people as possible might be able to identify with. The one I ended up choosing is fairly typical, I think. Sam has been rejected by his family, works very hard to pull his life together, but everything is so fragile that the smallest thing has the potential to destroy it all. Once Sam was 'in my head', so to speak, everything else fell into place for me.

Question 2: Why did you decide to participate in the Charity Sip Blitz?
I think the It Gets Better Project is such a great in initiative! How could I not want to help?

Question 3: Does the theme, It Gets Better, have any personal significance for you?
Yes, very much so. It means a lot to me that there are people out there, working to make sure more youths know there is a future for them that holds more promise than they can imagine. I hope many, many lives are saved and made better through the work they do.

Serena Yates's Sam's New Family reviewed by Keirnan Kelly

No comments: