Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Micro-interview: PD Singer

Question 1: How did you choose the plot and characters of your story for the Charity Sip Blitz?
I had been the uncomfortable witness to a few real-life renditions of Tyler's episodes, and was so angry at the perpetrator that I had to write out the wrath. It struck me that refusing to tolerate this sort of treatment was a real step to life getting better.

Question 2: Why did you decide to participate in the Charity Sip Blitz?
I would have written this story anyway, and I would have participated in the Sip Blitz anyway, so the conjunction of themes was a happy accident. Using fiction to do some good in the world strikes me as a win for everyone involved.

Question 3: Does the theme, It Gets Better, have any personal significance for you?
I think we all know someone, or several someones, who went through varying degrees of hell for being who they were. I come from what could be considered "Matthew Shepherd territory" and two young men who are very dear to me had a very rugged time of it. They are both out and happy now, but they certainly could have used some hope when they were young and couldn't see past getting the hell out of Dodge. It shouldn't be that hard for young people now—I'd like to spread some hope.
Happy reading!

PD Singer's Training Cats reviewed by Sean Michael

No comments: