Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Micro-interview: Josephine Myles

Question 1: How did you choose the plot and characters of your story for the
Charity Sip Blitz?
Jez and Steve were two characters I wrote about in First Impressions, a Torquere Sip published in January. In that first story I made a few references to Jez's difficult upbringing as the child of very pushy working class parents who wanted him to better himself. Jez had always felt like a failure for not living up to their dreams. This seemed like the ideal topic to explore for the theme of Getting Better, because I truly believed Jez's life was better now - Steve just had to find a way to convince him of that.

Question 2: Why did you decide to participate in the Charity Sip Blitz?
As I can't currently afford to give much in the way of financial donations to charity, this is my way of contributing something. There are many worthwhile causes out there, but this one really speaks to me. I'm an eternal optimist, and I'd love to help in any way I can to let gay teenagers know that life will get easier as they get out in the larger world and make networks of friends who will accept them just the way they are.

Question 3: Does the theme, It Gets Better, have any personal significance for
you?
I've spent my whole life feeling like an oddball who doesn't fit in, but I'm so much happier with that now I'm older. I'm also at ease with my bisexuality, which was something that terrified me when I was a teenager. Life does get better if we have hope, cultivate good friendships and listen to sage advice. With age and wisdom, most of us learn to be comfortable with who we are.

Josephine Myles's Last Chance reviewed by Kathryn Scannell

No comments: