Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Micro-interview: JM Cartwright

Question 1: How did you choose the plot and characters of your story for the Charity Sip Blitz?
It was a natural fit for me to go back to Stephen and Con from A Change of Scenery. They were actually the first couple I created, though the publishing was out of sequence to my writing. I had introduced a small secondary character in the Scenery book named Jesse James Callender. When the author group chose the It Gets Better project, Jesse called out, "Pick me! Pick me!" As you'll read, he has questions on some life issues, and he turns to Stephen and Con to provide answers.

Question 2: Why did you decide to participate in the Charity Sip Blitz?
It seems little enough to me to do something I enjoy, writing a story, and have that become a vehicle to raise funds for a worthwhile organization. Folks who volunteer their time are far more dedicated, I would argue, than little ole me contributing a few words in print. Plus, I enjoy contributing to the success of this event for Torquere. It's important that we enrich our communities and our world by giving of ourselves.

Question 3: Does the theme, It Gets Better, have any personal significance for you?
Beyond normal childhood angst (and parents divorcing when I was 12), I was spared the horrors I hear some kids report today. Why does it seem that bullying is all around us? Hopefully, the media is inaccurately stating the instances and the overall numbers. If not, then the IGB Project is needed even more than I thought. Nonetheless, I think all kids do need to hear, no matter what their particular problem is at the moment, that life does indeed get better. And it's usually because someone, somewhere along the way, does something that makes a difference in our lives. We either directly benefit from great advice, wisdom or intervention, or we learn about it through the selflessness of others. Children need someone to tell them, this too shall pass and your life will change. And they need the leadership of caring adults to shepherd them along the way.

JM Cartwright's The Book of Wisdom reviewed by Jane Davitt

No comments: