Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Micro-interview: Bella Leone

Question 1: How did you choose the plot and characters of your story for the Charity Sip Blitz?
I actually came up with Eli, the main character first while watching coverage of the royal wedding and someone caught Prince Harry handing a toy from his pocket to a young flower girl. From there it just bloomed. The plot evolved from watching my husband get hit on at the liquor store as he looked for a new brew and a beautiful, tall man tried to help him/hit on him while I hid around the corner loving every minute of it. Somehow it all melted together into Happy Hour.

Question 2: Why did you decide to participate in the Charity Sip Blitz?
My friend Kerry Freeman brought up the idea to our writing group. It just seemed like the perfect way to start writing professionally and help a great cause.

Question 3: Does the theme, It Gets Better, have any personal significance for you?
I have taught for years and the one thing I can't get used to is hearing about suicide or bullying in young kids. Even when I taught primary school, there were bullies. It is too prevalent. I was teased as a child/adolescent and it truly changes your outlook on life, you can't help but be affected. To be told you aren't good enough or aren't attractive enough, it just happens too often and there needs to be more education and more help to change the way we all react to each other. Bullying isn't just a kid problem sadly. I'm glad I didn't give up and I'm glad I can help others realize the truth that it does get better.

Bella Leone's Happy Hour reviewed by CB Conwy

No comments: