Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Featured Author -- Juniper Gray

Today we're featuring Juniper Gray, author of the newly released Imposition.

Tell us about Imposition. What inspired you to write it? How long did it take to write?

All-in-all it took me about eight months, I think. A lot of that time was made up with planning and procrastination (which I'm awful for - writing used to be my procrastination, so I need to find something new to occupy my dawdling streak now), not to mention figuring out how to write a novel. Once I'd got myself sorted and stopped writing other things it took three months of focused work, which I guess isn't too bad.

As for inspiration, I don't really know. The book is set in a universe I've had growing inside my head for a very long time, but this particular plot and characters slowly announced themselves over a couple of months back in 2010, and I loved them enough for them to be my first.

Tell us one thing about yourself that your readers would be surprised to know.

I used to hold (and successfully defended) a regional championship title for archery. Maybe I should procrastinate in that direction and pick it up again.

What’s the best thing about writing? How about the worst thing?

The best thing about writing is everything. The worst thing is the time between writing.

Character or plot, which comes first?

Everything all at once. Which is really inconsiderate, because I can be walking down the street and suddenly ideas will decide now is definitely the best time to present themselves, and I have to run to a bench or a coffee shop and scribble them down before all the good ones slip through my fingers like an un-set jelly, and I end up feeling like they've gotten one over on me by appearing when I couldn't catch them. Sometimes they come in pieces, so I'll get a shadow of the plot or the characters but I need to sit back and let them define themselves for a couple of months first before I'll put anything to paper.

What is your favorite way to spend a rainy day?

Not being out in the rain and laughing at people who are and have forgotten their umbrellas.

What’s the best writing advice you ever received/found?

That you should never listen to any advice about writing, because it's a vastly different process for everyone. I still haven't quite gotten over the paradox of listening to that particular piece of advice...

What are you working on now?

I am currently in the plotting (procrastination) phase of writing the book which would follow on from Imposition, though my mind seems think the book following that is more fun to think about at the moment. I'm planning to take things in a broader, darker direction, so I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the writing.

Bio:
Juniper Gray is a scientist by trade who harbours a secret passion for story-telling. She lives happily in the suburbs of a city in Northern England where she enjoys adventures into the surrounding countryside, tests experimental food recipes on unsuspecting dinner guests and spends far too much time on the internet.

Website:
junipergray.blogspot.com

Email:
junipergray@hotmail.co.uk

No comments: